Bard at Work



Hans Knopf


image preview

Creation Date



Students sketch in the art studio, located on the second floor of Orient Hall. Orient was a non-descript building with a long history at the College. Built in 1868 as a temporary structure, it was variously repurposed as a dorm, servants’ quarters, artists’ studios, an art gallery, and a theater. In 1915 it was hoisted into the air so that a central heating plant could be installed in its basement. Orient was destroyed by fire in April 1959, though its foundation now supports the building known as “Old Henderson.” Identified students (all seated) are, second from left, Charlie Marks ’52, third, Joan Williams ’50, fifth, Sam Summers ’51, and, far right, Iris Lipskar ’52.



Rights Statement

Copyright Undetermined