The Art of Architecture at Bard



Peter Aaron


image preview

Creation Date



Ward Manor, viewed from above. Peter Aaron hired a plane to take aerial views of campus. The main house was built in 1918, while the Annex was added in 1929. William Ward donated the property (which extended to Tivoli) to a New York charitable organization that utilized the mansion as housing for seniors, while other buildings on the estate were used to accommodate summer camps for girls and boys, and vacation bungalows for city families of limited means. The senior home and camps closed in the late 1950s. A few years later, in 1963, Bard purchased a portion of the land, along with the Gatehouse, Manor, and Robbins House, effectively adding dormitory space for 150 students and several faculty families.



Rights Statement

Copyright Undetermined