Presidents of the College




image preview

Creation Date

early 1950s


James Herbert Case, Bard's 12th president, served the college during the 1950s for over 10 years, starting in July 1950. He assumed the challenge of leading the college with an energy that bred high expectations, many of which were met. In 1951, the 825 acre estate Blithewood was deeded to the college, ultimately fulfilling the wish of John Bard, who had lost the property to foreclosure a half century earlier. In 1952, the Common Course, now the Common Course First Year Seminar: was inaugurated and developed under the direction of Heinrich Bluecher. In 1957 Case opened the college for the Hungarian Student Program, the humanitarian impacts of which are still celebrated today. In 1959 "The New Dorm" (renamed Tewksbury Hall) was completed, further expanding the capacity for student enrollment. President Case resigned in 1960.



Rights Statement

Copyright Undetermined